2. Information Collected. Parallon collects certain information from and about its users in three ways: directly from our web server logs, with cookies, and from the user.
3. Web Server Logs. When you visit our Site, we may track information to administer the Site and analyze its usage. Examples of information we may track include:
- Your Internet protocol address.
- The kind of browser or computer you use.
- Number of links you click within the Site.
- State or country from which you accessed the Site.
- Date and time of your visit.
- Name of your Internet service provider.
- Web page from which you linked to our Site.
- Pages you viewed on the Site.
Parallon uses this information to analyze trends, administer and improve the Site, and monitor traffic and usage patterns for information security purposes and to help make the Site more useful.
4. Cookies and Web Beacons. A “cookie” is a small text file that Parallon may transfer to your computer’s hard drive in order to personalize our services for you and to collect aggregate, non-personal information regarding Site usage by all of our users. Each computer is assigned a different cookie that contains a random, unique number. The cookie does not contain personally identifiable information. Parallon uses two different types of cookies: a “session” cookie, which is required to track a user session, for example, and which expires shortly after the session ends), and a “persistent” cookie, used to track unique visits to Parallon’ Portal Websites (defined below), as well as how the user arrived at the Portal Websites (for example, through an email link or from a referral link), and the type of user (patient, provider, etc.). So that users are not counted twice, this cookie can “persist” anywhere from six months to two years.
Your browser software can be set to warn you of cookies or reject all cookies. Most browsers offer instructions on how to reset the browser to reject cookies in the “Help” section of the toolbar. If you reject our cookie, this may disable some of the functionality on our Site and you may not be able to use certain services.
Cookies cannot be used to run programs or deliver viruses to your computer. One of the primary purposes of cookies is to provide a convenience feature to save you time. For example, if you personalize a web page, or navigate within a website, a cookie helps the website to recall your specific information on subsequent visits. This simplifies the process of delivering relevant content and eases website navigation by providing and saving your preferences and login information as well as providing personalized functionality.
A “web beacon,” “clear GIF,” “web bug,” or “pixel tag” is a tiny graphic file with a unique identifier that is similar in function to a cookie, but would allow us to count the number of users that have visited certain pages or screens of our websites, and to help determine the effectiveness of promotional or advertising campaigns. When used in HTML-formatted email messages, web beacons can tell the sender whether and when the email has been opened. In contrast to cookies, which may be stored on your computer’s hard drive, web beacons are typically embedded invisibly on pages or screens.
Parallon reserves the right to share aggregated site statistics monitored by cookies and web beacons with partner companies.
5.User Communications. Email communications that you send to us via the email links on our Site may be shared with a customer service representative, employee, medical expert or agent that is most able to address your inquiry. Parallon makes every effort to respond in a timely fashion once communications are received. Once we have responded to your communication, it is discarded or archived, depending on the nature of the inquiry.
The email functionality on our Site does not provide a completely secure and confidential means of communication. It is possible that your email communication may be accessed or viewed by another Internet user while in transit to us. If you wish to keep your communication private, do not use our email.
6. Opt-Out. We may send certain messages, including electronic newsletters, notification of account statuses, and marketing communications on a periodic basis. If you wish to be removed from such messages, you may request to discontinue future ones. All such material will have information as to how to opt-out of receiving it, although certain messages (such as a secure message sent by a doctor or an account status update), may be required and will not have opt-out capabilities.
8. Information Security. No website can guarantee security, but we maintain appropriate physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect your personal information collected via the Site and Portal Websites in compliance with applicable law. Please see the Terms and Conditions and applicable Portal Website Terms and Conditions for more specific information about information security and your responsibilities.
ADDITIONAL PRIVACY POLICIES FOR PORTAL WEBSITES
10. Additional Privacy Policies for Portal Websites. In the event that as a service to its customers, Parallon also provides websites which offer some customers secure, private access to their own records at Provider facilities, as well as certain internet-based services which may include, among other things, assistance in finding a doctor, assistance in scheduling appointments, the ability to register for classes and pre-register for procedures, and health and patient education materials (the “Portal Website”). The Portal Website has additional Privacy Policies and protections which are listed below.
This website may include pages that give you the opportunity to provide us with personal identifying information (“PII”) about yourself, if you choose not to provide this information, it may limit your ability to use certain functions of the site and/or request certain services or information. The Portal Website can provide you with access to some of your medical records. When you seek access to those records on the Portal Website, we need to confirm it is you so we ask you for information such as your name and email or physical address and other information such as your date of birth (which we may also use to make sure you are eligible to use the Portal Website in accordance with the Terms and Conditions) and the answers to “secret questions” to which only you know the answers. This information may be used to help administer your user account and in managing your account. We may need to ask you for the information again when you sign in from a new device.
We may ask for information about your location and medical needs to assist with finding a physician, and may collect and pass on information to assist you in scheduling appointments, registering for classes and pre-registering for procedures.
12. HIPAA Policies. In collecting your PII, our Sites may also collect PHI. Just as we strive to protect your PII we are committed to protecting your PHI. If there is a breach of your PHI, we are required by law to notify you. Your PHI will remain confidential, and will only be disclosed to you or your personal representative, unless otherwise required by state or federal law. In all circumstance, unless otherwise required by law, we will obtain your written authorization before using or disclosing your PHI. This protection extends to PHI that is oral, written, or electronic.
13. How Else May Your Information Be Used And Disclosed? In addition to the uses and disclosures of information outlined above, your information may also be used and disclosed as follows:
- If another individual is managing your account on your behalf (for example, a mother managing the account of her son), as authorized by you or as a personal representative under applicable law, that person can view all of your information in the Portal Website.
- We may use your information to send you surveys.
- Your healthcare providers may have access to your information for scheduling and healthcare services.
- We may use your information respond to and fulfill your orders and requests.
- We may send you appointment reminders through messages or other alerts on the Portal Website.
- We may share information with marketing, treatment or health care operations support partners required to protect the confidentiality of your information, that will enable them to send you targeted messages or serve you targeted advertising, with your authorization or otherwise in compliance with HIPAA and other applicable laws.
- We may assign the information we have about you, including PII, in the event that all or part of our assets are sold or acquired by another party, including all or substantially all of our websites, or in the event of a merger for the same.
- We may use or disclose your information as required by law.
15. What can I do to protect my privacy? In order to protect your privacy, you should:
- Never share your username or password.
- Always sign out when you are finished using the Portal Website.
- Use only secure web browsers.
- Employ common anti-virus and anti-malware tools on your system to keep it safe.
- Use a strong password with a combination of letters and numbers.
- Change your password often.
- Notify us immediately if you feel your login and/or password have been compromised.
Please note that if you share your Portal Website username and password with another person, this will allow that person to see your confidential medical record information. Parallon has no responsibility concerning any breach of your confidential medical record information due to your sharing or losing your user name or password.
16. Children May Not Use the Portal Website. We will never ask for or knowingly collect information from children, if you are a child under the age of 13, you are not permitted to use this service and should immediately exit the Site or get an adult. Consistent with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, we will not knowingly collect any information from children under the age of 13. Parents of unemancipated minors may set up accounts for themselves to access their children’s medical records only as permitted pursuant to the Terms and Conditions governing the Portal Website. If you think that we have collected personal information from a child under the age of 13 through this Portal Website, please contact us and we will dispose of the information.
19. Your California Privacy Rights. Under California Law, California residents have the right to request in writing from businesses with whom they have an established business relationship, (a) a list of the categories of personal information, such as name, e-mail and mailing address and the type of services provided to the customer, that a business has disclosed to third parties (including affiliates that are separate legal entities) during the immediately preceding calendar year for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes; and (b) the names and addresses of all such third parties. To request the above information, please contact us at email@example.com with a reference to California Disclosure Information.
We will endeavor to respond to such requests to information access within 30 days following receipt at the e-mail address stated above. If we receive your request at a different e-mail address, we will respond within a reasonable period of time, but not to exceed 150 days from the date received. Please note that we are only required to respond to each customer once per calendar year.