This month, Parallon Technology Solutions (PTS) attended the 2018 MUSE Executive Institute in Newport Coast, CA to connect with hospital executives, vendors and MEDITECH. This event provides further education and discussions on the most relevant challenges and solutions in the healthcare industry. Though there were many impactful conversations, here are 3 valuable takeaways from the event:
- Consumerism Readiness – The initial focus of implementing patient portal tools for Meaningful Use requirements has evolved. The priority has shifted to providing patients with more data so they are better informed and are more involved in decisions that directly affect their health care. Providers are continuing to see how non-healthcare organizations (retail, financial services, travel) interact with their respective customers and how connected they are to them. Those same customers are also patients whether in hospitals or outpatient settings. Now, organizations are recognizing:
- Patients as consumers
- Patients want more information available to them via portals accessible by mobile devices
- Patients want ability to schedule appointments, pay bills online and have the ability to share data across different care providers
- As technology and demographics change, organizations are required to stay on top of the latest trends and tools available to address patient needs. This mindset changes the dynamic and will help organizations understand how to best approach various solutions to meet this important strategic objective.
- Ability to Leverage Data for Operational Purposes – More data is captured in systems than ever before in electronic format. Turning that data into relevant information that can provide operational efficiencies and improve patient care continues to be difficult for organizations. Additionally, they are struggling to find and keep qualified staff to build and support all of the various reporting requirements and the demand will only continue to increase.
- MEDITECH – There continues to be momentum in market regarding MEDITECH’s 6.16 product suite. MEDITECH representatives provided insight into solutions for consumerism and population health. MEDITECH is looking much further out into their product development road map to provide key solutions to their clients and it is very exciting to see where MEDITECH is going and the positive impact they are having in the market.
Parallon Technology Solutions (PTS) is MUSE commercial member and READY certified consulting partner of MEDITECH. PTS provides EHR implementations, application support, IT managed services, technical staffing and strategic IT consulting services to hospitals, outpatient facilities, accountable care organizations and large physician groups nationwide. A certified MEDITECH READY consulting firm with a team of over 400 clinical and technical professionals, PTS has implemented EHR systems in more than 300 facilities and provides world-class hosting and managed services. PTS offers staffing and remote support services for all major EHR acute and ambulatory platforms as well as their ancillary applications. Visit www.parallontechnology.com or contact us at 855.276.9112 or email@example.com. For more information about MUSE, visit www.museweb.org.
About the Author
Craig McCollum is AVP of Professional Services at Parallon Technology Solutions. In this role, he is responsible for implementation services and project delivery for PTS’ clients. Craig has more than 20 years of healthcare IT and finance experience, including practice leadership, business development, EHR project leadership, EHR implementation and financial management.
Craig is a member of Medical Users Software Exchange (MUSE) and Healthcare Information Management Systems Society (HIMSS). Craig is MEDITECH READY certified in project management, general financials, supply chain management and human resources planning. He earned a Bachelor of Science from Fresno State University.